pages: 1 -2- -3- -4- -5- -6-
Near the main entrance there is shop where you can buy tickets and a bunch of souvenirs.
Guide to the castle.
Front yard.1. Cannon tower. The cannon tower was built in 16th century. The tower provides a nice view of the front yard, Rakvere Orthodox Church and the Church of the Holy Trinity from the 15th century.
2. The place of former hypocaust stove. The stove with a pile of stones on top of it, which were heated up so that the heat from the hot stones made the upper room warm.
3. First floor of the cannon tower. The ammunition cellar, 6 meters deep, is situated here. There is also a medieval toilet in the tower.
4. A place for lance practice. Attack the shield with the pike and try not to be hit by the bag.
5. Red light district.
6. Barbershop. Barber diagnoses different illnesses and performs blood-letting.)
7. Medieval Brothel, where one can get information when during medieval times intercourse was forbidden, how they prevented unwanted pregnancies etc.)
11. Copy ot the cannon used in the 18th century during the Northern War by the Swedish infantry. Shot in black gunpowder, can be ordered.
12. Ivo Schenkenberg inn. There are medieval food and drinks on the menu.
13. South-western tower provides a good view to Vallimägi and the activities in the front yard.
14. Mobile assault tower can be used for climbing to the wall. A towe like this was pushed to the wall of the castle protecting an attacking and gave high positions to fire arrows when storming a castle.
15. Pillory was used to punish for various minor offences like drunkenness, prostitution, not attending church.
17. Example of a medieval toilet. There is a possibility to try out the position of the log. Enter through the door.
Furthermore, try medieval stilts, hobbyhorses, cord whirligig, all sorts of carts, fighting beams, and ask about sword fighting from archer.
Convent Castle)18. Entrance to the Convent Castle.
19. History of the castle.
20. Room of alchemy and science.
21. Room of astronomy. Observations are carried out there, teaching of Copernicus is introduced, etc.
22. Scotch chamber. This is a room in memory of the 1500 Scots who were killed in 1574.
23. Inner yard of the convent castle. The inner yard was surrounded by the cloister which enabled the friars move between required dwellings.
24. Wine celar. Munks. Secret passage to Toolse. Possibility to taste wines.
25. Camera Torture and horror chamber - art of torture during the Middle Ages, Dance Macabre - Dance of Death, Inferno - Dante hell.
Second floor of the convent castle
26. Chapel. Pater Nosterit can be readed there. Learning was knighted for his head for one condition of the Middle Ages.
27. Hall - Throughot history, swords, the famous sword holders.
28. Reception. Room is suitable for receptions and party.
29. Gallery of dropping the closing gate.
30. The stairs lead You to the gallery, with stairs in both ends, from where You can go to the 4th floor.
Fourth floor of the convent castle31. Defence gallery. View to the front yard and town. In south there is pre defence zone with the places of three bastions, open air stage for singing and oak wood. In the NW You can see the chimneys of Kunda cement industry, in east ash hills of Kiviõli and in the north stands Haljala church and 7 tons weighty, seven meters long and 3,5 m in height Tarvas.
Inside cannon tower.
Outhouse (latrine). Toilet, situated inside the wall, which shaft opens beyond the wall.
The training unit.
pages: 1 -2- -3- -4- -5- -6-
|Copyright © nn44.org|